Monday 25 September 2017

A day at the Great British Sewing Bee

Like many people I loved the Great British Sewing Bee (GBSB) and as I mention in my prologue, the programme inspired me to dust off my sewing machine and get making my own clothes again.  I have started reading some sewing magazines and I saw an advertisement for the Great British Sewing Bee Live which was to be held in London.  I looked at the dates and it was possible to go.  I checked the ticket prices and thought them reasonable.  Finally I checked the location and decided it was definitely driveable.  I felt in need of a treat so I booked the tickets there and then.  There were lots of workshops and shows that could be booked as well, sadly the workshops I was interested in were already booked up (lesson learned, next time book early).  I decided I would book for one of the shows.  As readers of my gardening blog will know, I visit gardening shows quite often but I rarely if ever go along to any of the talks.  A sewing show was a new adventure for me and I wondered if I would find enough to look at (don't laugh) so I booked the show as that would make sure it was worth my journey.  That was my reasoning anyway.
The day arrived and I set off fairly early so I could be there when it opened.  I found the venue (ExCel) easily and parked with no problems at all.  All was good.  I then wandered into the huge complex where the show was and then had no idea where to go.  Thankfully there was a constant stream of women who looked liked they sewed heading in one direction so I followed them.  Now don't ask me what a stream of women who look like they sew looks like, I'm not really sure and there was a danger I would have ended up in the bodybuilding for beginners show (no such show).  Thankfully my gut-feeling was right and I ended up in the right place.  I headed first for a coffee and a moment to collect myself.  
There was much to see.  I enjoyed seeing some of the makes from the TV series.
and also displays from educational institutions like this one from the University of East London.
and there was shopping to think about, 
much shopping.  But I had my show to go and see so I wandered towards the theatre area and took my seat. 
Having been unsure whether I really wanted to see a show or not, it turns out it was a great idea.  It was hosted by Jenny Eclair, someone who I have always found very funny, and consisted of a makeover challenge with three contestants from the GBSB and three pre-selected members of the audience.  They had to makeover three shirts.  Esme and Patrick were the judges and there was also a demonstration on how to fit an invisible zip from Heather Jacks, a GBSB winner.  It was hugely entertaining and interesting.  There was a discussion about the lack of dressmaking in schools, which I was very interested in.  My first time with a sewing machine was in dressmaking lessons at school.  It taught me the basics I still use today and started me off on my sewing journey.  It is a great loss if that no longer happens.

Show over and it was lunchtime.  A sandwich consumed later and I was ready to start shopping.  I had a list with me and I had photographed the back of some patterns I want to make so that I had a quick easy way of knowing what fabrics I needed if I found something I liked.

If - ha - of course I found something I liked.
This is my haul, fabric, patterns and ribbons.  So watch this space as they get made up.

I also had a major reason for wanting to attend.  I wanted to look at sewing machines and I knew there would be many to look at and talk to people about there.  I really needed to talk to someone as whilst I have a machine and I love it, I was wondering whether it was still the right machine for me.  So guess what, I bought a new machine.  When it arrives I will write more about it and why I made the decision.

I came home with many projects whizzing around in my head, slightly over-excited and very happy.  Good days are made like this.  I hope they do this show again next year, I know will be buying my ticket quicker than quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note all comments are moderated